Storms, habagat affect 7.5 million as damage tops P6.6-B

Residents wade through a flooded street as heavy rains brought by the southwest monsoon continue to affect parts of Luzon. Pagasa warned of possible flooding and landslides as significant rainfall persists in several areas. Contributed photo of Theo Garbanzo.

The combined effects of tropical cyclones Luis, Maymay and Neneng, along with the southwest monsoon or habagat, have affected 7.5 million people across the country, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said Sunday.

The affected population represented about 2.1 million families in the Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Bicol Region, Western Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Cordillera Administrative Region, Metro Manila, Calabarzon and Mimaropa.

The NDRRMC said 34,103 people from 9,872 families were still staying in evacuation centers as of August 23.

The reported death toll remained at 29, while 19 people were injured and three were still missing.

Authorities also recorded 89 areas that remained under a state of calamity due to the impact of the recent weather disturbances.

Housing damage included 2,600 homes that were partially damaged and 269 that were completely destroyed.

Damage to infrastructure was estimated at Php 4.9 billion, while agricultural losses reached about Php 1.7 billion.

The NDRRMC said around Php 1.24 billion worth of assistance had been distributed to affected communities so far.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading