Prosecutors rethink strategy as Sara Duterte trial faces delays

The Senate impeachment court resumed its 10th trial day on July 22, with Sen. Francis “Chiz” Escudero presiding and Senate President Win Gatchalian leading the opening prayer. Fourteen senators were present as Land Bank personnel prepared to testify on Article I of the impeachment complaint involving the alleged misuse of confidential funds. COURTESY: Senate of the Philippines/YouTube.

Prosecutors in Vice President Sara Duterte’s impeachment trial are considering cutting their witness list and adjusting their presentation as repeated postponements threaten their target of finishing their evidence by September.

Manila Rep. Joel Chua, a member of the prosecution panel, said Sunday that prosecutors supported changes to the trial schedule that could allow proceedings to move faster without sacrificing the substance of their case.

The proposal would move impeachment hearings to the afternoon, potentially from 2:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. or later, allowing the Senate to handle legislative work earlier in the day. Sen. Panfilo Lacson earlier said the Senate majority had agreed to the arrangement.

The impeachment trial has reached its 16th day, with prosecutors currently presenting evidence related to Duterte’s alleged misuse of confidential funds.

Recent hearings were disrupted after proceedings scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday were canceled due to heavy rains brought by the southwest monsoon. Chua said the interruptions prompted the prosecution to recalibrate its strategy.

Before the postponements, the prosecution had been questioning Gina Acosta, a former special disbursing officer of the Office of the Vice President who was declared a hostile witness during the trial.

Prosecutors are seeking to establish allegations involving Php 612.5 million in confidential funds allocated to Duterte’s offices in 2022 and 2023. Chua said witnesses whose testimony would merely reinforce evidence already presented could be removed from the lineup.

The prosecution intends to proceed to the impeachment allegation involving Duterte’s alleged unexplained wealth once it believes sufficient evidence has been presented on the confidential funds issue.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading