
Photo courtesy of Avito Dalan/PNA. May 13, 2026 shooting at the Senate complex.
The Office of the Ombudsman moved on Monday to enforce a six-month preventive suspension against acting Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Ma. O. Aplasca, while also issuing a subpoena for CCTV footage tied to the Senate shooting incident.
Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano said personnel were deployed to the Senate to serve both the suspension order and the request for video evidence as part of the ongoing investigation.
He said the Senate Secretariat confirmed receipt of the Ombudsman documents, formalizing the next phase of the probe into the chaotic incident inside the chamber.
The action followed a shooting inside the Senate complex last week, when gunfire erupted along a second-floor hallway and sent staff and journalists scrambling for safety. No injuries were reported.
Aplasca earlier admitted firing a warning shot, which he said triggered an exchange of fire involving individuals he identified as National Bureau of Investigation agents.
Authorities later clarified that the NBI had no International Criminal Court arrest warrant for Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa at the time its personnel were spotted near the Senate.
Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla had told lawmakers that the NBI operatives were not carrying any ICC-related arrest order during the incident.
The ICC had earlier confirmed an arrest warrant against dela Rosa over alleged crimes linked to the Duterte administration’s drug war, while the senator has since left the Senate amid the unfolding legal and security fallout.