
The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) has removed the need for formal hearings in applications to extend Certificates of Public Convenience, fast tracking the renewal process for public utility operators.
The policy was implemented under the direction of Acting Transportation Secretary Giovanni Lopez, in line with the government’s push to streamline services and cut red tape.
Under the new setup, CPC renewals are treated as a continuation of an existing franchise, meaning operators no longer need to go through the same process required for first time applicants.
Regulators said operators had already established public need and proven their capability to run their routes, making additional hearings unnecessary for extensions.
LTFRB chair Vigor Mendoza II said the move was designed to make transactions easier for compliant operators and improve overall service delivery for commuters.
The change forms part of broader efforts to simplify government procedures and align with the administration’s ease of doing business agenda.
The board had earlier removed the requirement to publish hearing notices in newspapers, further cutting processing time and costs.
A separate memorandum issued on May 19 also required operators to maintain active email addresses for official notices and submissions, as the agency shifts toward digital transactions. The new rules are expected to be enforced before the end of the month.