US assault suspect tracked down in Davao condo

Photo courtesy of BI

An American wanted over assault charges in Massachusetts was arrested in a Davao City condominium after US authorities sought help from Philippine immigration officials.

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) identified the suspect as James Charles Davis, 53, who was apprehended on the evening of August 5 along J.P. Laurel Avenue in Barangay 20-B Poblacion.

The arrest followed information from the US government regarding a warrant issued against Davis by a Massachusetts trial court earlier this year.

Authorities said Davis faced two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon and another count of assault under Massachusetts law.

Immigration records showed that Davis entered the Philippines as a tourist on March 4.

A subsequent records check found no visa extension or conversion after his arrival, prompting the BI to also classify him as an overstaying foreigner.

BI Commissioner Joel Anthony Viado said cooperation with foreign authorities remained important in locating fugitives while enforcing Philippine immigration rules. He stressed that the country should not become a refuge for individuals attempting to evade legal proceedings abroad.

Davis is initially placed in the custody of Davao City Police Office Station 18 while arrangements are being made for his transfer to Manila.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading