
Photo courtesy of Anadolu
US President Donald Trump said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had replied to his attempt to open communication, suggesting that contact between Washington and Pyongyang may have resumed.
Trump made the remark Monday after being asked why Kim had supposedly ignored his request to talk. The US president disputed the premise and confirmed that a response had been received.
He did not disclose what Kim communicated or whether the exchange could lead to another meeting between the two leaders.
Trump pointed to his past dealings with Kim and said their previous interactions had been marked by mutual respect. The two leaders met several times during Trump’s first term as the United States pushed for progress on North Korea’s nuclear program.
His comments came a day after he ordered the Pentagon to significantly reduce planned joint military exercises with South Korea, citing both the cost of the drills and his relationship with Kim.
Trump also criticized Seoul for declining to support a separate US effort involving Iran, questioning why Washington should continue spending heavily on South Korea’s defense if it would not assist in other security operations.
The United States maintains a large military presence in South Korea under a longstanding defense alliance, while Pyongyang has repeatedly objected to joint US-South Korea exercises and described them as provocative.
Trump gave no indication that formal negotiations with North Korea were imminent. Any renewed dialogue would come as Pyongyang continues to expand its nuclear and missile capabilities despite years of stalled diplomacy.