Trump rules out Iran talks as Hormuz tensions persist

Photo courtesy of Anadolu

US President Donald Trump said negotiations with Iran had stopped, signaling another breakdown in diplomatic efforts following renewed tensions between Washington and Tehran.

Trump said Tuesday that no discussions with Iranian officials were taking place or scheduled. He also maintained that the US naval blockade remained in effect.

The US president claimed the Strait of Hormuz remained open to shipping and that mines placed in the strategic waterway had already been removed or destroyed.

His announcement came amid reports that he had instructed Vice President JD Vance and envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner to suspend engagement with Tehran.

The reported shift followed earlier contacts between the two sides that had shown signs of progress. Kushner had recently described communication between Washington and Tehran as increasingly active after meeting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Washington and Tehran had previously reached a ceasefire in April before signing a memorandum of understanding in June aimed at moving toward a more lasting settlement.

The arrangement later unraveled as the United States and Iran exchanged attacks for nearly two weeks. Trump eventually stopped the US bombardment while efforts were underway to revive diplomacy.

Trump’s latest position leaves no immediate path toward renewed direct negotiations, while the US blockade and tensions surrounding the Strait of Hormuz remain central issues in the confrontation.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading