Marcos orders AdZU shooting probe, calls for stronger school safeguards

BBM Vlog on Feb. 1, 2026. Screen grabbed from Pres. Bongbong Marcos Jr’s video/Facebook.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. ordered a full investigation into the Ateneo de Zamboanga University shooting on Tuesday as authorities examined how firearms were brought inside the school campus.

Two students died in the incident at the university’s Junior High School campus in Barangay Tumaga, including the suspected shooter. Two others were injured, while students were evacuated as police secured the area.

Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said the suspected shooter livestreamed the attack on social media. Authorities later appealed to the public not to circulate graphic footage or unverified information involving minors.

Marcos expressed condolences to the families of those who died and said schools should remain places where students can learn without fearing for their safety.

He directed law enforcement agencies to establish what led to the shooting and identify additional measures that could prevent similar incidents. The government will also coordinate with schools and communities on strengthening campus safeguards.

Investigators were also looking into the source of the firearms. The suspected shooter’s father, a Bureau of Customs enforcement officer in Zamboanga, was relieved from his post to allow an impartial inquiry into whether there had been lapses in firearm security. Authorities have not established that weapons issued to or owned by the father were used in the attack.

The shooting came less than two months after another fatal school shooting in Tacloban City, renewing concerns over firearm access and security measures in Philippine schools.

Ateneo de Zamboanga canceled classes on Tuesday and declared August 19 a day of mourning as students, families and school personnel dealt with the aftermath of the attack.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading